today i feel like a blob of undercooked muffin batter. gloppy, sticky, a mess. the feeling kind of hit me with the force of a cleaver’s crush and crunch. morbid, i know, but i think that has to do with the chicken culling i attended last week. please see photo below for further information:
it is a gray day here. but it wasn’t gray all day. a sunshiney, albeit windy and atmospherically unstable (apparently now i am morose meteorologist gwen). the day started grand. a sleep in, a visit from a dear friend who’s moved to boston, a yummy lunch at russell street deli. but something’s gone awry. and i can’t put my finger on it, but my monday muffins are not as delightful or happy as previous weeks. okay, the rhubarb muffins are cute. they are really moist. and splendid to me. but i think i pulled them a minute too soon, and thus, they are just not quite what i want. and today’s improvise on last week’s vanilla java porter muffins: a disaster. they deflated. they aren’t the same lush, soft, suave texture of last week. but i totally changed the recipe, so who’s to blame but me?! i added sour cream icing to try to remedy their sad state, and while they look cheery, dark with light pillows of white, i am still very underwhelmed.
so, for what it’s worth, monday muffin continues. i think i may make some rhubarb crisp to make up for the mediocrity of today’s selections, though. nothing better than rhubarb crisp for a morose monday…
try the rhubarb muffins, though. i think there’s something special there. just don’t rush the baking part, it’s kind of important. also, i really wanted to use curry powder in these (i based this recipe off of the rhubarb bread i made for the dairy fermentation class) but didn’t have any (ALL OUT!). if i had, i would have used a tablespoon of that and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, i think. or maybe 1 tablespoon of curry to one teaspoon of cinnamon… something to think about! instead, i went with garam masala, not sure what that did. when i had my quality control sample, the slightly under-baked texture distracted me from such analysis. ha.
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1. preheat oven to 350. grease muffin tins.
2. combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, set aside. combine rhubarb and 1/4 cup of sugar in bowl, mix, set aside.
3. in a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon).
4. beat butter and sugar till smooth. add egg, yogurt, and milk, mix well. stir in rhubarb.
5. combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients until just mixed. fold in nuts, lemon, and poppy seed mix.
6. using a 1/3 cup, scoop out batter in muffin tins. bake for 10 minutes, rotate to insure even baking. continue for 10-14 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. let sit for 5 minutes, then remove from tin and cool on racks.