well, friends, i think i’ve found something that’s going to stick. muffin monday, back again, because last week’s happy mouth muffins were so fun.
this monday’s muffin of choice: molasses date muffins. and the verdict? overwhelmingly positive.
with whey in the fridge, the leftovers from the miraculous cheese making of friday, i sought out on a quest this morning. how to best use the whey? my research revealed that it can be used for lacto-fermentation (which i definitely hope to explore, once i get more fresh produce available and in the kitchen) and smoothies. then, i saw a few recipes calling for it in breads. OF COURSE! i exclaimed to myself. I CAN USE IT FOR BUTTERMILK! it is acidic, and will work just fine! i thought.
so the grand experiment commenced. i, with my bowls, my dates, my orange zest and flour, i pulled out the whey and gave it a good look over.
instead of using it for the full cup of buttermilk, used 1/3 cup traditional buttermilk (from my friend the great fermentor, who i hope will help me explore the whey-lacto-fermentation possibilities later this season), 1/3 buttermilk (leftover in the fridge, needs to get used up!), and 1/3 cup whey.
and what do i have to say? these muffins GO…ALL…the…WHEYYYYYY!!! really.
molasses date muffins
adapted from epicurious.com
1/3 cup molasses
1 cup buttermilk (i used 1/3 cup whey, 2/3 cup buttermilk)
3/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup graham flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of one orange
1. preheat oven to 350. grease muffin tin.
2. mix first seven ingredients in a large bowl, through vanilla extract.
3. mix flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and orange zest in a another large bowl.
4. gently combine the flour with the wet mixture, be careful not to over stir.
5. fill the muffin cups with between 1/4 and 1/3 cup of batter, should make enough for 12 muffins. bake for 10 minutes, then rotate to insure even baking. then bake for another 8-10 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. allow the muffins to sit for 5 minutes on a cooling rack, then remove. ENJOY!